Attention, please make an appointment to go to any of our offices.

Submitting your tax return

Submitting your 2020 tax return

  • How and when do I submit my tax return?

    You submit your tax return yourself

    • In paper format: we must receive your tax return by 30 June 2021 at the latest.
    • Via Tax-on-web, for which you have until 20 July 2021.

    You receive a proposed simplified tax return

    Check your details carefully.

    • Are your details correct and complete? You do not need to take any action. You will receive your assessment notice automatically.
    • Are your details incorrect or incomplete? Amend your details:
      • either via the paper reply form, which must reach us by 30 June 2021 at the latest;
      • or via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web), by 20 July 2021 at the latest.

    You have your tax return filled in by an employee from the Federal Public Service (FPS) for Finance

    • We can help you over the telephone (in French, Dutch or German). All on-site sessions for filling in tax returns have been cancelled. This year you will not be able to fill in your tax return in an office or municipal building.
    • You should call as soon as you receive your tax return. Don’t wait until the last minute!
    • Important: we will no longer be able to offer you assistance after 30 June 2021!

    You instruct a accountant to fill in your tax return

    • The accountant (or tax advisor) instructed by you can submit your tax return via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web) by 8 November 2021 at the latest.
    • Important: if you instruct an accountant to amend your proposed simplified tax return, you have until 20 July 2021 (via MyMinfin).
  • Need some help?

    Try the online tax return: it’s simple and fast

    Do you intend to submit a paper tax return? Did you know that your online tax return via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web) is largely pre-completed? Moreover, did you know that Tax-on-web provides you with step-by-step guidance on filling in certain codes by even calculating the amount to be filled in?

    More information

    See our FAQ

    You will also find more information in the various sections of the website: Woning (Housing and accommodation)Gezin (Family)Vervoer (Transport)Belastingvoordelen (Tax reliefs).

    See the explanatory document for tax returns

    More information

    Use the application for foreign income

    Do you receive foreign income from France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands or Spain? Use our application to determine:

    • how you must declare this income in your tax return (personal income tax return);
    • the country in which this income will be taxed;
    • whether this income is subject to municipal tax.

    Get in touch with your 'centre Particuliers'

    Do you have a question about your tax return or your proposed simplified tax return? If so, you can get in touch with your 'centre Particuliers' by telephone .

    Have your tax return filled in by our staff

    We can help you over the telephone (in French, Dutch or German).

    Engage the services of an accountant

    You can engage the services of an accountant (or tax advisor) to fill in and send your tax return.

  • How can I amend my tax return?

    Have you submitted your tax return but realised that you have made a mistake or forgotten to provide some details?

    Did you submit your tax return via Tax-on-web?

    Until 20 July 2021, you can amend your tax return yourself via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web) (once only).

    Did you submit a paper tax return?

    Contact your 'centre Particuliers' as soon as possible to correct the mistake.

  • How can I file the tax return of a deceased person?

  • I have not yet received my pension statement. What should I do?

    The Federal Pensions Service no longer sends out paper pension statements (with some exceptions).

    This has no impact on you:

    • You receive a proposal for a simplified tax return? Your pension data are already included in this proposal.
    • You enter your return via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web)? Your pension data are already pre-filled.
    • You have your tax return filled in by telephone by our staff? They have the information to help you. Therefore, you can call as soon as you receive your declaration.
    • Are you submitting a paper return? The Federal Pensions Service will still send you your pension statement in May.

    If you wish to consult your pension statement, you can:

    Therefore, calling the FPS Finance in order to get your pension statement cannot help you in this regard.

  • Can I request more time to submit my tax return?


    Do you think you will not be able to file your tax return in due time? It is possible, in exceptional cases, to obtain an extension of the time limit to file your tax return, on the following conditions:

    • Your application should be justified by ‘force majeure’ or by ‘valid reasons’. The event should be unforeseeable or unavoidable, and should be the result of circumstances beyond your control. Example:
      • you are seriously ill
      • your documents have disappeared as a result of theft or fire
      • the cadastral income of your home has not yet been determined
      • you spend long periods of time abroad (for work, as a seafarer etc.)
    • Your application has to reach us within the normal time limit to file your tax return:
      • 30 June 2021 for a paper tax return
      • 15 July 2021 for a tax return filed in MyMinfin (Tax-on-web)

    Problems with your identity card or PIN code

    Do you have a problem with your identity card or PIN code and are you unable to access MyMinfin (Tax-on-web)? In that case an extension of the time limit to file your tax return cannot be granted. We advise you to use itsme®.

    How to submit an application

    If you want to apply for an extension of the time limit to file your tax return, call your 'centre Particuliers'. You will need to provide the following information:

    • your last name, first name and national number
    • the method used to file your tax return: paper form or Tax-on-web
    • the reasons justifying your application
    • the date of the requested extension of the time limit

    Your tax office will examine your application and inform you of the decision to accept or reject it.

    If you do not obtain an extension of the time limit

    If you do not obtain an extension of the time limit and if you fail to submit the tax return in due time, you are still requested to file your tax return as soon as possible.

  • How can I anonymously simulate the calculation of my taxes?

    You can do this online via Tax-Calc.
  • How do I check if I have submitted my tax return correctly?

    • Go to and log in.
    • Click on ‘Mijn aangifte / Mijn voorstel van vereenvoudigde aangifte’ (My tax return / My proposed simplified tax return).
  • I ‘bought back’ my years of study in order to receive a higher pension. How do I declare the contributions that I have paid?

    Declare the amount of the contributions paid in 2020 in code 1257/2257 (box IV, A, 17). That amount is stated on a certificate that you will receive from the Federal Pension Service.

    You will then benefit from a tax deduction.

    More information about ‘buying back’ study years on the website of the Federal Pension Service

  • How do I declare the withholding tax withheld on my exempted dividends?

    You can set off the withholding tax withheld on your exempted dividends against your personal income tax.

    To do so, enter the withholding tax withheld on those exempted dividends in code 1437/2437.

    You can only offset withholding tax in respect of a maximum of EUR 800 in dividends. Since the maximum rate for withholding tax is 30%, you can therefore recover a maximum of EUR 240 of withholding tax deducted (EUR 800 x 30%).  It is therefore best to opt for the exemption of dividends to which the highest withholding tax rate has been applied.

    More information about the exemption for dividends

  • What happens if I submit my tax return late?

    You may receive a fine or a tax increase.

    In addition, we may initiate the ex-officio assessment procedure. With an ex-officio assessment, we have 3 years to calculate your tax or change the calculation.